Thursday, May 21, 2009

Looking good there champ


Sometimes I like to walk to work. It’s nice because it gets the blood flowing in the morning and you don’t have to listen to nosy bus drivers tell you to put your pants back on and stop “touching yourself”. One of the better parts of my walk is that I get to experience the magic of Chinatown. It always seems like there is something to discover on my way through and the other day was no exception.

On my walk I noticed a young man who could not have been any older than 12 checking around the corner like someone was after him. Judging by his weight and general sloppiness I was waiting to see some deranged chef running around the corner screaming in French about one his pies going missing. Instead, once this little gentleman was assured that he was in the clear of whoever he thought may have been watching him he goes into to his backpack and pulls out a pack of Marlboro 100’s, lights one up like a pro, and walks right past me puffing away.

To say I was shocked would be an understatement. Kids grow up with different values these days and a heavy emphasis is put on not smoking(I applaud that if you want to be a sissy). In my day I was given a cigarette as congratulations from my doctor for delivering me. No spank on the ass, just a Camel and a shot of whiskey, like I said different times. As he walked by I was tempted to say something but I thought better of it for a few reasons.

He could have been one of those people that look like a kid their entire life.

He may come from a family of smokers that support his habit.

He was a pretty tough looking kid and I don’t think he would hesitate to put his smoke out in my eye.

No comments: